Monday, October 24, 2011

Fosse's Journal; Burlycon 2011, Thursday

And so Burlycon 2011 begins; or rather it did at noon-Ish today, Thursday October 20th, 2011. Like many good theatrical presentation on opening night it was not a perfect opening. With computer systems down, the staff scrambled to manual check people in. Attendees took it in stride however, and it didn’t take long to get the events rolling.


I had the opportunity to attend a lecture given by Jo “Boobs” Weldon. Her passion for the story and purpose behind the museum (and pageant) of the Burlesque Hall of Fame was an excellent mood setting for my initial Burlycon experience.

Afterwards I spent most of the afternoon working alongside burlesque composer and performer, EmpeROAR Fabulous!!! as one of the Con’s merchandise hawkers. It was fun watching people look over the tee-shirts and rhinestone encrusted tank-tops, and marvel at just how small a “women’s large” is nowadays. (I don’t blame them, those tees where pretty tiny!)

The evening would eventually lead to the “Vintage Meet & Greet,” a crowded get together in the Hospitality Suite. It was fun to see everyone together, but to be perfectly honest it was a bit overwhelming. After making my rounds, sampling a few of the delectable snacks provided by Zephyr Paquette, and trying in vain to remember any names I had tried to hear during introductions, I retired to the hotel lounge for a burger and martini with fellow performer (and Burlycon roommate) Ella Titsgerald.

My hunger sated I find myself drifting into a state of pseudo exhaustion; the sort of weariness that comes from working 10-days straight before diving into a fun but rather intense series of social events. So instead of attending the peer reviews this evening, I felt it would be better to actually decompress just a little and maybe, just maybe be well rested enough to make it through these next exciting days.

To any performers being reviewed tonight, I apologize for not support you. It is, I assure you, nothing personal… I’m simply beyond my capacity for the evening.

Dear Burlycon and all of my friends and compatriots attending this weekend, I am immensely pleased to share these days with you and I hope we make some very fond memories together.

Loves!

~ Fosse Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment