Monday, October 24, 2011

Fosse's Journal; Burlycon 2011, Sunday

And so Burlycon 2011 is complete. I could sit and talk all about how wonderful and amazing the experience was, but that will have to wait for another entry. For now I shall I continue with my simple journal entries.


The day began with Dancebellt’s Madonna workout, where we learned Vogue. Okay, so I didn’t enter pop music till the late nineties so I missed a lot of Madonna, and I hope I won’t be stoned when I say the first time I heard Vogue was at this workshop. :-P Anyway, Ruby and Inga were, as always, awesome teachers and I very much enjoyed the show and have some new choreo to play with!

After this I skipped across the hall for the first bit of Waxie Moon’s dynamic staging. I couldn’t stay for the whole thing as that class period was the only time I had to pack before working merch that afternoon. Still what little I sat through was just amazing! I love seeing tools I learned for other art forms being applied to burlesques, but as Waxie said burlesque is just dance, acting and sex so it makes sense that acting tools are so easily applied!

After this I packed my bag and lugged them to the vendor rooms. Aside from a few crazy bursts, the afternoon was fairly slow so I got a chance to bond with some of the vendors; Ruby, Jamie, Foxy Tann and the others.

Then it was off to the Closing Ritual, a moving event that was both sentimental, reverent, silly and truly touching. In a phrase it was “bittersweet and frosted.” (Imagine a DARK chocolate cupcake with pink caramel icing.) I won’t go through the details, sometimes you can only understand by experience, but I will say I got to share some beautiful intimate moments with some amazing performers. At the end I walked away with encouragement to continue my work as a performer and perhaps more importantly as a producer. The need that was I was given by one of my peers was the need to provide opportunity to performers, and perhaps in other ways to put myself out there and perform elsewhere as well. I am motivated!

Then I joined the staff and remaining volunteers to breakdown Burlycon. Breakdown had the sense of making the bed after an amazing night of passionate love making, and snuggling with you lover… tender and satisfying. I parted ways with Burlycon after many hugs and thanks and smiles, and I will always treasure this weekend and work my hardest to live up to what the community needs of me!

Loves!

~ Fosse Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment