Monday, October 24, 2011

Fosse's Journal; Burlycon 2011, Saturday

It is Saturday night and in the room above the bulk of the Burlycon attendees prepare for the evening festivity, the Neon Party. I find myself inclined to spend my evening in the hotel lounge, my netbook in my lap and spending some time in reflection. It’s not that I don’t like a good party, but I am fairly certain that the combination of neon-clad burlesquers and thumping dance music may be more than my sensually saturated psyche. ;-P


Today began with an excellent class by Waxie Moon. The exercises he showed us were simple acting tools about physical energy points and ways to ground ourselves. I have used similar exercises in acting before, but it was great to put them to work as a burlesquer. In fact I think these exercises an even more useful in non-verbal performance like strip tease. In any case, it was a lot of fun and an excellent refresher course.

From Waxie’s class I moved into the vastly crowded session with Kate Valentine AKA Miss Astrid. In a jam packed room we got to here from one of the movement’s best emcees. She echoed various sentiments that I have actually developed, which was encouraging. She did so in a fantastically matter of fact, and witty fashion. Just listening to her teach I can see why she is such an excellent emcee. She knows her job, does her job, and is not afraid to speak her mind, and all the while she is the model of professionalism.

From Miss Astrid’s class I moved back to the Burlycon merch table where I proceeded to struggle against insetting lethargy, while chatting with Ruby Mimosa, J Von Stratton and other vendors. It was an entertaining afternoon, if a bit slow.

I got to visit my favorite ladies, Sinner Saint Burlesque at hospitality with Lady Tatas made me feel terribly naughty by giving the Eucharist in her sexy-Madonna, Mother of God, outfit. There may have been some shirtless time among a handful of the boy-lesk boys, instigated by David Bishop (the Bishop of Burlesque), and maybe some naughty pics with a bunch of “Virgin Marys.”

Lydia McLane’s class on book keeping was extremely informative and made me realize just how disorganized I am as a business person. I got to know Lydia a bit more as we worked together on blowing up balloons for tonight’s party. Finally I stopped into peer reviews and caught a few acts before my need for supper drove me to Jack in the Box.

All in all the day has been excellent. I am tired, but in a good way. Tomorrow I will wake up early to catch Dancebelt’s next class and then it on to class and some final work time at the merch table. I look forward to posting my “journal” entries when I get home tomorrow, but even more, I am excited to spend just a little more time with the friends I’ve made these past few days.

Loves!

~ Fosse Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment