Monday, October 24, 2011

Fosse's Journal; Burlycon 2011, Friday

Day two of Burlycon draws to its close. Still the evening is not yet spent, for I will shortly leave the relative comfort of my hotel room and head out to the evening’s Peer Reviews. I am particularly excited for this.


Today I had the opportunity to immerse myself in the educational activities of the Con. I began my day an 8am with a workout and dance session with DANCEBELT members Ruby Mimosa and Inga Ingénue. The class was fun, and a good way to get going in the morning.



From there I went straight to the day’s history class. Scott Ewalt, a man who has been involved with burlesque since he was twenty and fresh faced in NYC, shared his passion for the art form and in this particular case for the male aspects of burlesque. I didn’t realize that the male side of the art form had such a rich history, dating back to the 1890s and Henry Dixie! Scott’s slideshows and his intimate knowledge of the subject were intoxicating, and immensely challenging. I could have sat there for hours more, and I have MUCH more to do.

After a shower, and a light breakfast would be a PANEL on Touring Shows (very informative) and a class taught by Miss Rosie Bits (gosh, she is just adorable!) about Getting Sponsorships (very encouraging!), followed by a bit more time helping out the Burlycon staff at Merch.

The Keynote address, attended by a large portion of those at the convention brought Indigo Blue, Scott Ewalt, Miss Astrid and living legend Ellion Ness. There were moments of tender remembrance for those performers who have been lost recently, and a great deal of encouragement given to those in the hall. Ellion was particularly touching as she got all flustered with joy. It is so amazing to me to see the legends that are still with us. Our fore-mothers and such, those who have helped to truly define the burlesque art form.

Tack on a VERY crowded class photo, and a fun and rather raucous parade to the pool (through some very confused hotel patrons), and you have the bulk of day two. The crowds would slowly make their way up to the canteen on the pent house floor and soon after begin to disperse. Very shortly now some will gather to review colleague’s performances and act in progress, and I am very much excited for this.

Well friends, I’m off. I fully intend to end up at Denny’s tonight so I will think of you when I am killing myself with chicken fried steak. :-P

Loves!

~ Fosse Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment