Sunday, August 28, 2011

Behind the Scarlet Curtain - Beebo Brinker Pulp Cabarets

I sit in the empty room of ACT’s Bullitt Cabaret. I am early. It is not unusual, I’ve been early all my life. I like it this way. I like the chance to sit in a lonely room, with only the shadows of performances gone by to keep me company. It is a special time for me, who so longs to be among others, to find peace in a moment of solitude.

I think back on last night, the opening of this wonderful cabaret series I have had the fortune to be a part of. I think back to the laughter, the cheers and applause, and most gratifyingly the rapt silence. It is a wonderful thing to remember. It is not solely what is on stage however, that will make these memories special. It is the interactions backstage that I cherish above all. To have moments with those I love, and moments where I come to love others, is a blessing that in this uncertain age is more precious than petroleum.

From snuggling with my dear friend Polly Wood on the chaise backstage, to talking shop with Jesse Belle-Jones and Lady Tatas, enjoying some mutual “love, love” with Diva Le Diviant, and getting to know one of my burlesque idols, Ms. Lilly Verlaine, I will always treasure the memories of the Beebo Brinker Cabarets!

(written on 26 August 2011)

The experience with Beebo Brinker, first at Re-Bar and then this past weekend at ACT, has been a wonderful blessing in my life. Through it I have come to know individuals within the community better, come to see friends become dear friends, and learned more of and participated in ‘queer history.’

In meeting Ms. Ann Bannon last night, I was introduced to a part of history that I had never before known. Yes I have known older gay men, but they have rarely spoken of those days. Perhaps it is harder for them to remember. But to meet a pioneer, a woman strong enough and brave enough to at first be a part of it, and then to relive it, that is truly special.

I would like to thank Katjana, Donna and Sasha for this amazing opportunity. I would like to thank Leslie and Lauren, and our Stage Kittens for all of their hard work. I would like to thank Donna and Rhonda for making our scene HOT, and I would like to thank everyone who came to see the show. It would not have been possible without you. Thank you all, and thank you to the wonderful performers who shared this opportunity with me: Fuschia, Lily, Polly, Jesse, Tatas, Angel, EmpeROAR, and everyone else.

Finally, I must thank Ann for having the courage to do what she did. Because of you and those like you, I need not feel ashamed of the Love that I CAN name.

Loves!

~ Fosse Jack





No comments:

Post a Comment