Friday, July 29, 2011

Behind the Scarlet Curtain: Beebo Brinker

Last night, I had the amazing opportunity to be a part of the Beebo Brinker Pulp Cabaret at The Re-Bar.  Producers, Diva le Diviant, Lyla la Coeur, and Cherry Manhattan invited me to prodvide the voice to the character of Jack Mann, Beebo Brinker's lesbian-savvy gay male friend.  It was a great honor to be a part of this ongoing theatrical event, and I am excited to see the events coming up in August (a three night engagement at ACT!) and September (the premier of the Beebo Brinker Chronicles).

This show marked a milestone in my burlesque career, as my first appearance on The Re-Bar stage (well the first performance... my first time on that stage was getting frisked by Tricky Dick, ;-P) and the experience was super exciting.  The talent that I worked with last night was amazing.  Jasper McCann, Polly Wood, Trojan Original, Miss Elaine Yes, and more.  I loved every moment backstage.  The sense of camaradiere in this community is genuine and heart warming, and I am constantly humbled by the talent that surrounds me. 

That being said,  I am constantly amazed at how technically challenged The Re-Bar can be.  Every show that I've seen there has suffered from sound and lighting 'malfunctions'.  It makes me so mad to see people I respect and care for watch their hard work crumble when a music cue is fumbled, or they are left in the dark.  As I have already said though, I am part of an awesome group of professionals who handle said malfunctions beautifully... I just wish they didn't have to deal with this sort of sloppiness every time.

Ok, that's off my chest... back to the otherwise positive experience.

The 'dressing room' was exactly how I imagine old cabarets, and jazz clubs being like.  Buzzing with performers getting ready, mirrors scattered haphazardly, chairs, couches and tables along the red, gold flecked walls, and an atomosphere filled with grity-romantic energy.  It was thrilling, and I could barely contain my excitement.

The crowd was large and excited, the energy in the bar intoxicating, and the response at the end was thoroughly satisfying. (Lily Verlaine complimented me! Swoon!)  The scenes that Lyla la Coeur, Rhonda Soikowski and I performed together went over very well.  The over the top physicality, and hot girl on girl action provided by these two beautiful women, were definite crowd pleasers... as were The Trojan Original's efforts to distract me during the second reading.  Good Lord, my knees nearly buckled when he grabbed my hair.  Haha! 

I am super excited to see more of the Beebo Brinker events.  August 25th, 26th and 27th at the Central Heating Lab, ACT are the dates for the Best of the Cabarets! Fuschia FOXXX, Polly Wood, Jesse Belle Jones, EmpeROAR Fabulous!!! and Miss Lily Verlaine will all be performing.  Then in September the crew returns to The Re-Bar for the Seattle Premiere of The Beebo Brinker Chronicles (a play!) staring Rhonda Soikowski as Beebo Brinker, with Polly Wood as Laura.  It is going to be awesome!

Loves!
~ Fosse Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment